Thursday, October 9, 2008

teeth

Yesterday afternoon, I was feeling a great deal of empathy towards stroke victims. I tried to put on some lipstick, but only half of my mouth would move, and when I tried to blot it, my lips wouldn't do what I wanted them to do.

Take care of your teeth kids, or you too may one day have lipstick troubles.

I had two cavities filled yesterday.

It's funny how deeply teeth are buried in my psyche. Over the years, I've had a lot of dreams wherein my teeth start to loosen and fall out, causing me to panic. According to the dream interpretation dictionary, that symbolizes a feeling of impotence and lack of control.

Whatever. It's freaky.

I can also usually judge how much I like a guy by how much I obsess about his teeth. If I'm not that into him, but am trying to convince myself I should be, his teeth will begin to mesmerize me. An overly large gap or an overlapping tooth has become a deal-breaker on more than one occasion. On the other hand, I've dated guys who had freaky-deaky teeth and been crazy enough about them that I thought the fangs were just a charming quirk.

Which I suppose gets me to my next point. The dentist told me I should get veneers because my teeth are discoloured and I have a chip in my front tooth.

It's weird, because a few years back I would have agreed, but now, I was just insulted by the suggestion. My teeth are part of what makes me me, damnit. I actually happen to think I have very nice teeth, and they also happen to be the teeth I was born with.

And what about my wisdoms? I have been informed that I have an appointment to get them extracted on Oct. 28. The receptionist at the dental clinic handed me my appointment card as I left. Well, guess what? I don't have any interest in getting them extracted. I don't see the wisdom in it. Ha ha.

Love me, love my teeth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear I am not lying, I read your blog last night and went to bed a couple hours later and I had a dream last night about my teeth! My bottom front tooth was loose and about to fall out. freaky!

Tran and Shannon said...

So, you leave us hanging for weeks wondering about the great show down between Katie and the wisdom teeth extracters... Did she or didn't she... Hmmmm

Anonymous said...

Katie, its funny you mention the topic of teeth on your blog. I'm going to get my wisdom tooth pulled very soon. I'm not looking forward to that day.