Monday, November 19, 2007

Life in Smithers, take 2

Well, today I just put my third paper to bed. It's hard to believe I've been working at the paper for three weeks now... That means I've been in Smithers for almost a month! Still feels like just yesterday Thom was picking me up at the bus stop and I was hearing smart alecky comments about my lovely Simon Chang coat.

This week, I very nearly reached my story quota... Which means next week I will definitely make, and bypass the quota. Damn straight!

My big problem is pictures, and I don't even know why it's such a big problem. I have an extensive fine arts background, I should be able to snap a good photo, right? Maybe I'm just lazy. Or maybe, I'm just -- as I was once told -- a perfectionist who would rather not do it at all if I can't do it perfectly the first time.

I saw my first moose earlier this week. Actually, this week I saw two! It was very exciting, I assure you. In my time at Banff I saw countless elk, but not one moose. Steve pointed one out, one day while we were on a trail ride, but I was too busy giving my tourist spiel and by the time I looked it was gone, alas.

I am no longer the new reporter at the paper. My position has been supplanted by Mike, whose last name I cannot spell, nor pronounce. He is our new sports reporter and comes to us from Montreal.

Quinn, after a week of dithering (yes, Quinn, I know you read this blog, and yes, I did say dithering) has finally decided he is definitely-probably-almost certainly-yes, for sure leaving town. Which means, since I am taking over his apartment, that when my mother comes at Christmas I will have a place for her to stay!

Some of you might assume Quinn's departure means I will soon be scaling the ranks to senior reporter -- But no, a fellow by the name of Ryan is returning to the paper to take over that position. Ryan seems to be a very nice person, so I will try not to resent him too much.

That's it folks. Nothing more to report.

Oh... I finished knitting the hat. Am not sure I'm satisfied with it. May unravel it and start again.

No comments: