Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Still tired, but this time I have an excuse

Well, I hope everyone had a most excellent Easter!

Ryan Hilliard, a friend of mine from my NBCC-Woodstock days came up (or maybe down?) from Edmonton for the long weekend. It was great to see another East-coaster, and it was also wonderful to see a familiar face from home. Ryan slept on the couch at my staff accomodation, which is reason #1 that I am tired: we aren't allowed to have overnight guests, and every time a door opened in the house, I woke up, convinced it was Pam, the building manager coming in for an improptue inspection.

In any case, I managed to beg, borrow and steal some time off from work. We went up to the Banff Centre and saw the new exhibit there. The exhibit, called Beckett, is a series of video installations inspired by Samuel Beckett. There is one entitled 'Clown Torture' that is just trippy. As soon as I saw it, it brought back memories of my old housemate Ed Duncan, who was terrified of clowns. (I miss you, Ed! If by chance you stumble across this blog, send me a line, eh?)

We also went on a long hike out by some lake or another just outside of town. We managed to get hopelessly lost in a marsh of overgrown pussy-willows. At one point, while we were charging through the brush we came across four elk---they very politely ignored us and continued the important business of lolling around and eating the bark off trees. I took a nap on a dock on the lake and wound up with what could be described politely as a healthy glow.

Anyhow, it was awesome to see you, Ryan! Come visit me again soon.

I've also been working lots. Yesterday was one of my lovely 14-hour work days, where I go straight from one job to the other. After work, I went down to the Bear's Den Pub and had a few drinks with Irish Angela, Aussie Ben and Ryan. Fun stuff. We got to see Matt, the bartender, have a fit and chase some teenagers out of the bar after they refused to tip him.

Today, I'm back working at Snowflake. After work tonight I may or may not go over to bartender Matt's place. He's having a barbecue or something for Angela and Ben, who are, alas, leaving town.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see my sister is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Seems like someone is always coming or going there.

The name "Samuel Beckett" is tantalizingly familiar, but I'm not sure where I've picked it up... Clowns are scary. D: Was it torture by clowns, or clowns being tortured?

-Ashley

KT said...

I think it was a little of both...