Thursday, November 23, 2006

I found a job!

It actually seems to be true what they say about jobs being easy to find out here.
After Chris left for work this morning I had a nap on his side of the bed with Rokaya.

I got up and started agonizing over clothes. I wound up wearing a very nice pinstriped business dress, three pairs of stockings (hey, it's COLD here) and my fancy fake lambswool coat that goes down to my feet. I was worried it would be too fancy, but I was looking to apply at nice places, and I figured overdressing was better than underdressing.

We wound up leaving the apartment around noon... Which, as I pointed out to Rokaya was an awful time to be applying for work at restaurants. Instead, we strolled down to where her friend Stephanie, a retired dancer, was working at this fitness place: the place specializes some sort of yoga, or pilates, but on a table. I dunno, it looked pretty hardcore.

Rokaya, Stephanie and I had lunch at a vegetarian place on 17th Street. The food was delicious, and it was very funky. I'll definitely be going there again.

Following lunch, we proceded with Operation Job Hunt.

I dropped my resume off at the Metropolitain Grill, and was interviewed on the spot. The guy who interviewed me there used to spend his summers with his grandparents in Moncton! He told me he had to discuss it with some other guy, and he would probably call me within the next day or so.

We walked a block down the street and stopped in front of a place called Ric's Grill. "Want to try there?" asked Rokaya, and I was like, eh, the outside is maybeish, but let's check it out. Well, the inside was anything but maybeish: way nicer than Metrolpolitain, in fact, and the Metro was nice. Two different people interviewed me on the, and half an hour later I walked out an employed woman!

Now, I just need to memorize the menu and wine list. I've been told I don't need to know all 300 bottles for tomorrow, but I should definitely know the 30 wines they sell by the glass. What have I gotten myself into, eh? Val, the woman who hired me told me she usually only hired people over the age of 25, with at least 5 years experience. I'm 24 and have 4 years. Oh well.

Wish me luck?

No comments: