Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Grandmother

When I was a little girl, I liked to play hairdresser. My 'Granny' was a frequent client, or victim, as the case may be. I remember getting her circular brush hopelessly stuck in her hair---a traumatic experience, to be sure, that is still embedded in my brain (as deeply embedded as that brush was in Granny's hair) almost 20 years later.

Some of my earliest memories centre around my Grandmother's farm. I remember swinging from a tree, my grandmother having brought the swing out and hung it from the tree in honour of my sister's and my visit. I remember lots and lots of kittens, many of them the result of drive-by 'cattings.' I remember going down to the barn to stare at the cows, always an exciting passtime, to be sure.

Pink Flamingos. In the summer, the front yard of Granny's house was always full of lawn ornaments. Whenever I see a pink flamingo I immediately think of her. I think I may get my occasionally garish and tacky tastes from her.

I definitley came by my pack-rat tendancies honestly! When Granny moved into a seniors home, we auctioned off the contents of her house and barn. My favourite item, I think, was the airplane wings: a remenant of my late uncle's teen-aged passion for flying. He had stolen them off an airfield years before, and my grandmother had kept them stashed in her barn every since.

My Grandmother was an amazing cook. When people talk about visits to her farm, they always remember her food. The secret to her amazing food was sugar---and lots of it---a fact that no doubt contributed to her eventual diabetes. She boiled her corn in water liberally flavoured with sugar. Her sticky-buns were to die for. And she never used measuring cups.

Granny had an amazing green-thumb. Her gardens surrounded the house. Roses creapt up the exterior walls---with the occasional fake, plastic flower tucked in amongst the real ones (those pink flamingo tendancies, again). Inside, the house was overtaken with flowers and huge, towering cacti. Her vegetable garden was even more impressive, and ensured that we were never without fresh potatos, strawberries, corn and carrots during our summer visits. When I think of Granny, I usually picture her in the garden.

In later years, a bouquet of flowers was always a surefire way to my grandmother's heart. Her memory wasn't the greatest. My mother would send her a boquet for mother's day, and recieve a phone call every day for a week thanking her for the flowers, as Granny rediscovered them with pleasure every morning.

Granny lived a long life. A full life, too. She is survived by her two daughters, my mother and my Aunt Helen, as well as whole lotta grandchildren and great grandchildren.

5 comments:

teriyakibroth said...

This is a really sweet remembrance of your grandmother. She is no doubt missed and will continue to be missed.

Matthew Francis said...

Thanks so much for this, Katie.

"To love is to remember."

We heard a lot of funny stories about Grandma's driving while we were out there. Like the time several years ago when the insurance man came out to the farm and told her, "Ruth, since you're such a good driver, we're going to give you a discount on your insurance." And Granny responded, "Oh, well, I don't know about that... just the other day I backed into a police car at the grocery store." Thankfully the policeman was a friend of Wyatt's!

Anonymous said...

Awww, Katie. I'm glad you have the memories of your grandmother to keep with you. *hugs*

-Ashley

kimberley francis said...

Hey Katie,

Oh wow. I feel like a whole layer of my memory has just been revealed to me. You know, our mom is developing alot of those same tendancies...popping some plastic crocusses in a few weeks before the real ones are due to come up.

So many of your rememberances are mine too somehow. I too loved to "give hairdoos" as a little girl.

I think Wendy and I took turns on that 3 foot tall doll that would sit out in the cold room...you know close to that table where all the styrofoam trays were for colouring?

It was amazing to be back and to get to see everyone. We stopped by the farm and mom and i went into the barn up top. I remember there always being a little bundle of grey kittens up there hidden away.

Yeah. Well thanks for your entry. It was great to read it.

xo

Anonymous said...

And Grandma's grand-daughter Katie is an amazing writer like her grand-father Whitehead.

Katie I enjoyed so much your memories of Mom. You blessed your Aunt Helen's heart too!

Thank you.

-Aunt Helen