Thursday, January 4, 2007

the joys of roommates

I now have a roommate. She seems nice enough: a British girl by the name of Jess. Can't say for sure, really, since we've spoken a grand total of twice.

Jess and I are both waitresses for the Banff Lodging Co., but at different restaurants. She seems to work mostly evenings, I work mornings, afternoons and evenings---but especially mornings, lately. What this means is that I get up at 5:30 a.m. for work, while she returns from work at around 2:00 a.m.

Last night, I put my work clothes in my cupboard in the kitchen, so I wouldn't have to stumble around in the darkness of our room trying to find them in the morning. Fun, fun.

An unrelated annecdote: our restaurant does room service. People call for the weirdest things. New Year's Eve, a guy called wanting to order a funnel. Uh huh. Wonder what he wanted that for. I told him the restaurant was clean out of funnels. Today a guy called and wanted to order water. I kind of get that, but still, jeez buddy, if you don't want tap water, open your door and use the vending machine in the hall. Alex, my supervisor, says he once delivered a room service order to a couple of stark naked girls.

Tomorrow, I go to Norquay. Edward, an extremely lazy young Brit who also 'works' (yeah, right) in the restaurant is coming along. Should be fun.

No comments: