Friday, December 8, 2006

Impressions of Banff

Got into Banff last night... Am now at the bus stop waiting for the bus to take me back to Calgary. This is not due to a hatred of Banff on my part, but more due to a promise to Rokaya that we could go partying tonight.

I have come to the conclusion that I am just not a city kind of girl. The further from Calgary I got on the bus, the lighter I felt, and I liked the looks of all the smaller towns we passed through. This may explain how I was able to live in Woodstock, New Brunswick for two years and not only have no complaints but miss it horridly upon my departure.

In any case, the mountains are amazing! Every way you turn, you can see them. It's so different from New Brunswick. Calgary is a nice city, but it could be a city anywhere.

All this said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I think I'll be coming back in the Banff direction... There seem to be plenty of jobs around. However--and this is a bit of a sticking poin..........

OK. The computer at the bus terminal timed me out right then. I'm not back at Rokaya's place. It should have been a ten minute walk, but it turned into a 40 minute one, followed by a cab ride, because---and this will surprise no-one who knows me---I got hopelessly lost.

Which brings me to something else I liked about Banff. There were so few streets that even when I did get lost, which of course happened repeatedly, I found myself just as fast.

Another thing that was nice was the trees. I started to notice them as soon as we left Calgary. REAL TREES. Lots of 'em. New Brunswick is almost entirely trees, and it feels very odd to have none around.

Anyhow, yeah. The thing was, in Banff even the retail jobs wanted employees to sign contracts specifying how long they would be around.

I was thinking I might check out Canmore, too.

And Mom sent me a job post about a newspaper opening in Vulcan, Alberta.

No comments: