Monday, December 18, 2006

Today's blog comes at you from the Banff Public Library

Had my first night of work last night. The restaurant was dead, dead, dead. In fact, we closed at 7:00. I choose to look at this as a good sign, however: My first night at the Slivery Moon was dead, and I spent 4 fairly ok (not dead) years there. I understand that several large groups had just checked out of the hotel, hence the deadness.

I don't work there again until Thursday, at which point I'm going to be serving in the bar---I hear the tips are better there.

All good, but since I don't work again until Thursday, I had better find myself another job! Today I am once again pounding the streets looking for work. I think I would prefer to only work at one restaurant, so I might look for something in retail.

I would also love to go skiing sometime this week. We'll see if schedule and money permit it.

I hear there will be jobs opening up in January. Apparently a lot of kids come here over their breaks, lie about how long they'll be here, and then go back to school in Jan.

My friend Jesse the Aussie got a job with accomodation included, the lucky bastard. I ran into last night as he was leaving the hostel, suitcases in hand.

Last night I went out on the town with a group from the hostel. Apparently Sunday nights are a huge party night in Banff. Whodathunkit, eh? I ran into a guy one of the bars who looked vaguely familiar. Turned out he had been one of my roomies when I was staying at Samesun. As soon as he said that, I remembered him: he was the guy who kept running across the room and doing flips into the top bunk bed. Sean, a Kiwi.

For the first time since I moved into Hostelling International I had to share my room last night. I got in at midnight, and they were already asleep. At 8:30 this morning, when I got up, they were still in bed and seemed quite peeved at me for making noise in the room. I need to go back to the hostel and look for my resume, etc... Couldn't find it in the dark this morning (they had closed the curtains).

No comments: